Lake Wilson

Ride reports from across the country.
JDubKC

Lake Wilson

Postby JDubKC » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:10 am

Will be going here to camp/ride for the first time in Oct. Any advice from those who have gone before? Camping areas, riding routes/tips, any info appreciated.

Jones
ER Officer

Re: Lake Wilson

Postby Jones » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:39 am

one note most bathrooms and showers will be closed sometime early October the ones close to the marina tend to stay open. as for trails ride them all. make sure your sealant is good in your tires as they have lots and lots of goat head thorns that also makes Wilson a poor choice for dogs if you you like bringing them.
No Guts No Glory, No Brains Same Story

Lawson_Raider

Postby Lawson_Raider » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:28 pm

+1 on Jones, the thorns are rampant that time of year - I had 40+ in one tire alone from riding out there that time of year.
This thread likely ends here.

Jones
ER Officer

Postby Jones » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:22 pm

Personally October is my favorite time out there. have gone many times with a group of friends around that time and have had multiple trips where we were the only people we saw for 2 days.

JDubKC

Postby JDubKC » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:00 am

Looking forward to it. Thank you both. Ill be sure to Stan's up!

ScottL
ER Officer

Postby ScottL » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:37 am

Agree with what's posted, also note it is very open, not much protection from wind and sun. Even in October you may put on some sunblock. At least it won't be too hot, but I've been in late September and it was pretty toasty in the afternoon. The upside of the wind and sun is that it dries fast after a rain. A light rain won't spoil your weekend.

Note "Switchgrass Campground" is the one near the official trailhead and most commonly used. The bathrooms are closed as noted, I wish they kept them open into October. We're joining the LMBC group the weekend of the 23rd this month. I like that as it is late enough to be cooler but bathrooms are still open. Enjoy!

JDubKC

Postby JDubKC » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:03 am

How does Switchgrass handle rain? Rain thru Friday... will Saturday be rideable?

Jones
ER Officer

Postby Jones » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:47 am

with the amounts predicted it will probably be OK but very very hard to say.

Return to “Cheatin' on KC”