MERFGA

jlbay

MERFGA

Postby jlbay » Tue May 01, 2018 10:16 am

This forum has died. Any thoughts of revamping or changing the format from the mods?
Has the community already moved and I missed the cue?

Jones
ER Officer

Re: MERFGA

Postby Jones » Tue May 01, 2018 10:59 am

forum has been dead for a while as everyone enjoys fighting about stupid stuff on Facebook now. We are working on rebuilding the web site to something more modern and useful.
No Guts No Glory, No Brains Same Story

Sasquatch1413

Postby Sasquatch1413 » Wed May 02, 2018 7:42 am

I miss the good ole days when you could argue on a forum without selling your soul for likes.
My what big wheels you have.

Olathejoe

Postby Olathejoe » Wed May 02, 2018 9:58 am

Could probably replace all the trail specific topics on the bottom half with one bike Ebike topic. This place would be hopping again just like when Q and Pink were discussing politics.
Defiantly = bold disobedience Definitely = without a doubt

watts888

Postby watts888 » Thu May 03, 2018 6:54 pm

"piranah"
"A hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

Olathejoe

Postby Olathejoe » Fri May 04, 2018 11:46 am

OTOH, Nobody made any enemies on the ER forum this week.

where's your like button now bitch?
Defiantly = bold disobedience Definitely = without a doubt

Toxis

Postby Toxis » Sat May 05, 2018 7:59 am

Olathejoe wrote:OTOH, Nobody made any enemies on the ER forum this week.

where's your like button now bitch?

#ShotsFired
UNOFFICIAL SLOWEST RIDER OF '11 & '12.
SLOWEST REGULAR RIDER OF '13, '14, '15 and beyond I'm sure.
Bought a fat bike to hold the record...

Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.

JDubKC

Postby JDubKC » Mon May 21, 2018 3:04 pm

Since the Earthriders Club/forum has died and Mark Zuckerburg has taken over Earthriders Privileges I am unable to view current happenings as FB says I need to log-in to view. I am curious if it will remain that way or if can be changed so you just have to be a member of Earthriders to stay current on the goings-on or if you have to also be part of the Facebook Club?

jlbay

Postby jlbay » Tue May 22, 2018 8:33 am

JDubKC wrote:Since the Earthriders Club/forum has died and Mark Zuckerburg has taken over Earthriders Privileges I am unable to view current happenings as FB says I need to log-in to view. I am curious if it will remain that way or if can be changed so you just have to be a member of Earthriders to stay current on the goings-on or if you have to also be part of the Facebook Club?

Same boat. I feel like this could be a group text at this point.

Jones
ER Officer

Postby Jones » Wed May 23, 2018 7:34 am

All preplanned ride dates are posted in the group rides section.

All known MTB type events Earthriders and others are added to the EarthRiders public google calendar.

We are working on creating a more modern website but that is very time consuming and is being done as fast as volunteer time allows.

As far as forums and chat the vast majority of Earthriders members chose on their own to move over to Facebook for good or bad. Some have real accounts some have bullshit accounts. As far as I can tell Facebook is only as dangerous as you allow it to be you give it nothing important I dont see the risk or harm.
No Guts No Glory, No Brains Same Story

ScottL
ER Officer

Postby ScottL » Wed May 23, 2018 9:59 am

Jones wrote:All preplanned ride dates are posted in the group rides section.

All known MTB type events Earthriders and others are added to the EarthRiders public google calendar.

We are working on creating a more modern website but that is very time consuming and is being done as fast as volunteer time allows.

Thanks for the useful info and clarifications Cliff.

Regarding the part in bold, we strive to keep the calendar up to date with MTB events in our area, both ER related/hosted and otherwise. If anyone sees issues, has suggestions, or wants to add something, let us know on this forum and we'll gladly take care of it as time allows and if there are no issues with doing so.

While a new, more modern website will enhance our club experience, the fact is these forums and their format have fallen in to disuse across the board with most clubs and interests. I recall when these were a vast improvement over older bulletin board systems, 15ish years ago. These forums allowed much better communication and media sharing in that process. I've seen the same thing happen in various groups and clubs, giving way to social media forms. It isn't specific to EarthRiders, MTB, or any one hobby. Times change, whether you like it or not. The good news is that meeting and riding with people IRL at these events is alive and well, despite what Mark Zuckerberg may be doing, both EarthRiders events and other local MTB/cycling community events.

JDubKC

Postby JDubKC » Wed May 23, 2018 11:04 am

Looks like FB was changed and you no longer need to log in to view. Thank you much.

ScottL
ER Officer

Postby ScottL » Thu May 24, 2018 10:03 am

JDubKC wrote:Looks like FB was changed and you no longer need to log in to view. Thank you much.

Glad to hear it, there was no intention to make it publicly unviewable, I think unforeseen changes in FB could have caused it. As far as I am concerned, anyone can view the content in the FB group. You should only need a FB account, and join the group, in order to post and comment.

ssotaku

Postby ssotaku » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:13 am

Once again, looks like unforeseen changes in FB have caused non-useds* to be unable to view the public ER FB page. Here's what it currently looks like in my browser: https://i.imgur.com/duGzhXq.png

I appreciate the ER officers that keep the calendar up-to-date, and I plan to attend tonight's social ride at Swope either way, but it's nice to be able to read public comments on events before packing up and making the trip. Shame on FB for trying to make those private.

I like Richard Stallman's motto on this topic: "Facebook is a bad place for a person to be. When people find us on Facebook, we lead them away from Facebook and then talk with them elsewhere." But, I realize it's a losing battle trying to get people to switch back to these forums, so I'll leave it at that.

* We call them useds, rather than users, because they are being used by FB, not the other way around.

ScottL
ER Officer

Postby ScottL » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:36 am

Return to “Politics, Religion, Anarchy, etc.”