craigs list hater thread

Olathejoe

craigs list hater thread

Postby Olathejoe » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:14 am

On the surface, craigs list is a great place to look for used bike. In reality it's people cleaning out their garage wanting top retail price for a bunch of 20+ year old crap.

Case in point:

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/bik/1774720455.html

I bought this exact bike (smaller frame) in 1981 for $250. I sold it to a friend 10 years and a lot of miles later for ~$50. That's what I figured it was worth 15 years ago. Now this yahoo thinks a bike from "the late 70's or maybe early 80's" is worth $150? Am I missing something here? Did I get screwed when I sold mine? If I still had it and waited another 20 years would it be 'worth' more than I paid for it in 1981?
Defiantly = bold disobedience Definitely = without a doubt

crs

Re: craigs list hater thread

Postby crs » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:21 am

If you wait until its "vintage" it adds $100 automatically.
chris

Possum

Postby Possum » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:40 am

I would not pay $150 for it. But I am not a girl-jean wearing hipster either, so maybe it's worth more than we think it is... :static:
Bike racing is good. The people you meet, the struggles you overcome, the highs and lows, the downhills, the finish lines. Bikes in general just make us better people. -Cameron Chambers

day1

Postby day1 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:45 am

:lol: At first I thought this was going to be a thread about "Paul" everyones favorite kc craigslister.

As far as price, don't go to the Re-Cyclery in Lawrence then... :wink: The difference there though is someone has gone through the bike.

Depending on the bike, what it needs, how it has been treated, etc... some of these are worth the price. Some have been ridden a handful of times and then put away until today. On the whole though I agree with you. The problem is everything is worth what someone is willing to pay and somewhere out there people are paying these prices.

A good example that I kind of feel bad about is I sold my first Puch (that I pulled out of the trash) last year for $75. Now it did have a set of 700c wheels on it and a fairly new set of ritchey cx tires, but on the whole it was just a stripped down 70/80's frame.
Last edited by day1 on Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
"In fact, it’s probably a good idea to treat your bike like a stripper. Enjoy it but don’t get too attached, put a few bucks into it now and again, and just shrug and move on when it takes up with someone else." BSNYC

tomy

Postby tomy » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:47 am

No Joe. This difference between you and this guy is he's willing to take advantage of some sucker. No way that thing is worth $150. I'm sure he will find one willing to pay.

Olathejoe

Postby Olathejoe » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:51 am

day1 wrote:and somewhere out there people are paying these prices.

I'm not so sure they are though. My theory, and it seems to be cyclical (pun intended), people have old bikes in the garage that the bought at Sears for $109 23 years ago. They look on CL and see someone selling something similar for $75. They figure since the $109 bikes they have were only ridden that one time when they brought them home from Sears and they discovered it's actually work to pedal a 36lb bike all the way down the driveway and back, so since is has such low milage, it must be worth at least $95, so that's what they ask for it.
Defiantly = bold disobedience Definitely = without a doubt

Tim Greene

Postby Tim Greene » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:01 am

But, Joe the $50 dollars you got for the bike 10 years ago is actually more than the $150 the person is asking today, when you adjust for inflation. :D
--------- __o
------- _`\<,_
------ (*)/ (*)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

day1

Postby day1 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:06 am

This isn't the first time that Schwinn has been listed, you think he would get the hint.

But the "Paul" guy I mentioned, he "rehabs" :roll: bikes and then asks ridiculous prices. Just last week he bought two Peugeot mixtes listed for $50 and re-listed them for $175 a piece.

He bought these for $30 a piece and is now trying to get $125.
Now he will post the same shit for weeks, but I'm assuming they sell at some point or why would he keep doing it?
"In fact, it’s probably a good idea to treat your bike like a stripper. Enjoy it but don’t get too attached, put a few bucks into it now and again, and just shrug and move on when it takes up with someone else." BSNYC

Sasquatch1413

Postby Sasquatch1413 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:21 am

Thats funny that you guys are talking about Paul. The first thing I do at work in the morning is browse the bikes section of craigslist. This morning, some guy posted an "Eff You" story to Paul with a picture of the bike and of him holding up his middle finger explaining how he finally beat Paul and got a good deal on another bike. I'm sure its been flagged and removed by now. Made me chuckle.
My what big wheels you have.

steved

Postby steved » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:21 pm

Sasquatch1413 wrote:Thats funny that you guys are talking about Paul. The first thing I do at work in the morning is browse the bikes section of craigslist. This morning, some guy posted an "Eff You" story to Paul with a picture of the bike and of him holding up his middle finger explaining how he finally beat Paul and got a good deal on another bike. I'm sure its been flagged and removed by now. Made me chuckle.

That was posted about 9:30 last night. Flagged. Then reposted again this morning & flagged again. Not by me.
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - a beer in one hand - a cheeseburger in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

day1

Postby day1 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:00 pm

I make a habit out of flagging Paul... :twisted:

Possum

Postby Possum » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:16 pm

day1 wrote:I make a habit out of flagging Paul... :twisted:

So do I. Every time I see one of his ads, I flag it out of principle. If he wouldn't be such a douche about it, people wouldn't flag him.
Bike racing is good. The people you meet, the struggles you overcome, the highs and lows, the downhills, the finish lines. Bikes in general just make us better people. -Cameron Chambers

Possum

Postby Possum » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:17 pm

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/bik/1775612957.html

What about this asshat? Valued at $450? By whom? Your mother?

Opie

Postby Opie » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:15 am

“There is no such joy in the tavern as upon the road thereto.” ― Cormac McCarthy

tomy

Postby tomy » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:59 am

Return to “Politics, Religion, Anarchy, etc.”