Who's else kid sells Girls scout Cookies?

FreightCar

Who's else kid sells Girls scout Cookies?

Postby FreightCar » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:57 pm

This is ridiculous.
This is our 3rd year and I got to be honest this is a racket. 4 buck a box and my daughter tells me I have to sell as many as she does so she can get a stupid carnival quality stuffed animal. I wish we had pot stores in KS I would go knock this shit out.

the GS say 70% goes to the GS while about 15% goes to the troop.

I would rather write a check then sell these again.

But she has got to get a ****** stuffed animal. What is a parent to do :shock:
Canfield Yelli Screamy
Redline Monocog-geared for now
Bike America is the worst bike shop in KC

Possum

Re: Who's else kid sells Girls scout Cookies?

Postby Possum » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:01 pm

And now you've got some insight into why my kids play soccer instead of doing Girl Scouts. The cookies aren't really even that good any more.
Bike racing is good. The people you meet, the struggles you overcome, the highs and lows, the downhills, the finish lines. Bikes in general just make us better people. -Cameron Chambers

Olathejoe

Postby Olathejoe » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:18 pm

Possum wrote:The cookies aren't really even that good any more.

That's an understatement. I used to be able to polish off a box of thin mints in an evening, easy. Now, when I eat one of them it makes me think that if I eat a just couple more I may not poop comfortably for a few days.
Defiantly = bold disobedience Definitely = without a doubt

Possum

Postby Possum » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:53 pm

That's just cuz you're old Joe. I mean you broke your foot just getting off your bike. Better mix some calcium supplements into your metamucil.
Bike racing is good. The people you meet, the struggles you overcome, the highs and lows, the downhills, the finish lines. Bikes in general just make us better people. -Cameron Chambers

mtwmbw

Postby mtwmbw » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:00 pm

Fight the good fight and tell your daughter this is a racket. We have had this discussion with our kids about school sales (popcorn, gift wrap, local gift cards, etc).

I think people should pay for their own kids to do their own activities and organizations should have a donation ability for people less fortunate than others. I am happy to pay for my kids activities and would be happy to donate towards less fortunate folks. But spare me the lousy items and the peer pressure of selling crap we don't need.

I REALLY hate to get someone at my door selling something for their kids (cause really mom is a few feet behind the kid looking at me) to take some big trip (Florida, Colorado, etc) to play in a baseball/volleyball/whateverball tournament. What, your kid has that opportunity? That's fantastic. You should pay for that, he/she will really appreciate that.

Flowrida
Location: Eastern Jackson County, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Postby Flowrida » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:53 pm

Both my daughters have been in GS since Daisies. I was the "cookie dad" for my oldest daughters troop a couple of years ago. I volunteer to unload the truck when the cookies come in, count them, help parents load their cars, etc. I also drive the troops around to different activities, day camps and field trips. There are some things in life that you do because you have to.. Go to work, pay bills, get stuck in traffic..Then there are things you do because you can, build trail, ride your bike, volunteer and try to make a difference.

I don't completely agree with the amount of money that council gets for a $4 box of cookies but they have a huge amount of over head. Camps cost money to run. Horses have to eat. Staff has to be paid. Cabins require upkeep. And all this requires lots and lots of insurance. If you don't like the cookies, or think they are overpriced, just consider it a donation. Give a Girl Scout $4 and tell them to keep the cookies. I give money to the United Way, the Salvation Army when they have their bucket brigades going. I've ran in a ton of 5k's to raise money for cancer, playground equipment and band field trips. Its certainly nice to get a poorly designed t-shirt for my efforts but that's not why I do it. Four bucks is about the minimum that I leave for a tip and all I require in return is a full glass of water with a lemon. :wink:
I like to complain and do nothing to make things better. Kurt Cobain

Possum

Postby Possum » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:18 am

We go through some of the same stuff with the PTA fundraisers at my kid's school. I feel like they are always bringing something home that we're supposed to sell. The two older kids realize that the prizes are shit, but the 5 year old still wants the initial thing you get for selling like 5 items. We go ahead and buy trash bags b/c we use them, but we do absolutely zero door to door stuff.

I buy some seriously over-priced boy scout popcorn from a couple of kids I used to coach b/c I want them to be successful. It's definitely considered a donation. Beyond that, it's donations to Harvesters and the Salvation Army, b/c I feel those organizations use the money well and don't waste a bunch on admin bullshit.

At the end of the day, support the organizations you believe in however you feel fit. I just think the Girl Scout cookies have gotten to a point where they are more hype than product.

ptooi
Site Admin

Postby ptooi » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:59 am

Possum wrote:I buy some seriously over-priced boy scout popcorn from a couple of kids I used to coach b/c I want them to be successful.

Oh man. I have a box of popcorn I bought from the neighbor kid 3 years ago. I don't even like popcorn that much and this stuff is extra mediocre. It was $17. Seven. Teen. Dollars.

tomy

Postby tomy » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:07 am

some of the fundraiser stuff they come up with..... I remember once when I was like in fourth grade maaybe they tried to get us to sell "spices"... it was like jars of bacos and dried onions and stuff.... :?

Opie

Postby Opie » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:47 am

I have no problem turning kids away at the door. Life's gonna be rough and you're not getting a participation trophy from this tight-wad.

I was going to pay the neighbor teen to mow once then I realized he'd be ON MY LAWN so I just did it myself.
“There is no such joy in the tavern as upon the road thereto.” ― Cormac McCarthy

watts888

Postby watts888 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:51 am

My kids are selling them too. Not going for the carnival bear, just the necklace. That's about $400 worth of sales. I can't wait for my wife to ask me how many I've sold at work.
"A hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

shoffner

Postby shoffner » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:24 pm

mtwmbw wrote: What, your kid has that opportunity? That's fantastic. You should pay for that, he/she will really appreciate that.

Good lesson. Instead of working for something just have mom/dad pay for it.

And we're the messed up generation.... :wink:
ROZARKS - Roanoke and Rosedale neighborhoods' nature trails
KESSLER - Cliff Drive/Historic Northeast

URBAN DIRTY RACE SERIES
http://urbandirty.wordpress.com

Team Colavita/Parisi