Closed

Trail Information | Check trail status
offroadgator

Closed

Postby offroadgator » Wed May 13, 2015 11:48 am

Somebody care to tell me why the gate to Rosedale Arch Park is always locked? Very annoying.

breed007

Re: Closed

Postby breed007 » Wed May 13, 2015 1:13 pm

To protect the arch from vandalism. I usually park at Fischer Park and ride in from that direction. That or there are a ton of side streets to park on around there.

watts888

Postby watts888 » Wed May 13, 2015 1:33 pm

Looks like Fischer Park is the best. What about parking at the middle school? is there access to the trails from school property?
"A hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

ScottL
ER Officer

Postby ScottL » Wed May 13, 2015 3:36 pm

Fisher Park is easiest by far. Fairly central access as you can go left towards Mission Cliffs(which is due for a trim, but still ridable) or right towards Mt Marty Park. There is a small crushed gravel path through Fisher Park, right in the middle by a picnic table is the entrance to the trails. They are building kiosk there currently, it isn't done but will be soon.
http://www.google.com/maps/place/Fisher ... -94.615823

You can park on Cherokee as well off the Blvd and ride up from where it dead ends:
http://maps.google.com?q=39.060980,-94.617599

As you head up into the powerline cut, you can ride all the way up if you want or you can immediately turn left up into the woods, the first switchback is a tough climb as we've not finished cutting that part, but that gets you right into Mt Marty pretty quickly.

Also, I just noticed there were a few small trees down yesterday we need to get to.

offroadgator

Postby offroadgator » Wed May 13, 2015 3:59 pm

breed007 wrote:To protect the arch from vandalism. I usually park at Fischer Park and ride in from that direction. That or there are a ton of side streets to park on around there.

If they wanted to vanaalize it, couldn't they just walk? Sounds like lazy cops to me.

Possum

Postby Possum » Wed May 13, 2015 5:44 pm

It's a damn shame we have to ride our bikes a little farther to ride our bikes.
Bike racing is good. The people you meet, the struggles you overcome, the highs and lows, the downhills, the finish lines. Bikes in general just make us better people. -Cameron Chambers

shoffner

Postby shoffner » Wed May 13, 2015 5:47 pm

Indeed. The arch isn't the trailhead anymore. Fisher is.
ROZARKS - Roanoke and Rosedale neighborhoods' nature trails
KESSLER - Cliff Drive/Historic Northeast

URBAN DIRTY RACE SERIES
http://urbandirty.wordpress.com

Team Colavita/Parisi
Powered by Volker Bicycles

breed007

Postby breed007 » Wed May 13, 2015 5:48 pm

offroadgator wrote:[quote="breed007"]To protect the arch from vandalism. I usually park at Fischer Park and ride in from that direction. That or there are a ton of side streets to park on around there.

If they wanted to vanaalize it, couldn't they just walk? Sounds like lazy cops to me.[/quote]

Well, there's also the whole "hidden section of road equals prostitution" thing too. I can't count how many such business transactions I encountered on Cliff Drive before the gates closed.

offroadgator

Postby offroadgator » Wed May 13, 2015 8:16 pm

I think it's a bit ironic that they keep a public park locked, so the public can't actually use the public park because that's criminal behavior! :homer:

shoffner

Postby shoffner » Thu May 14, 2015 6:32 am

offroadgator wrote:I think it's a bit ironic that they keep a public park locked, so the public can't actually use the public park because that's criminal behavior! :homer:

That's Wyandotte county for ya....when I worked at rosedale still, I would call parks and rec every Monday and talk with them about the gates. About 9 months worth, and it still hasn't sunk in. Last I knew, they were looking at removing the gates all together.

Fisher is still a better trailhead anyway. We even have a kiosk up there now :)
ROZARKS - Roanoke and Rosedale neighborhoods' nature trails
KESSLER - Cliff Drive/Historic Northeast

URBAN DIRTY RACE SERIES
http://urbandirty.wordpress.com

Team Colavita/Parisi