Krug Park

Check trail status
Smooth&Flowey

Krug Park

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Tue May 26, 2015 7:27 pm

Not that it'll be dry anytime soon, but when it is, anyone interested in fall-line goodness needs to be aware of what's going on.

Parks & Rec is redoing the pond at the bottom of the park. They are removing years of silt. The big dig in the picture above has since been filled with a bunch of the stuff. The "dam" looking part is diagonal to where the beginning of the trail cuts through the field. Anyway, that part will require a minor reroute and I plan on making it more fun than the original.

Also, all four points that the trail enters/exits the field are blocked by the erosion barricades. IF it were dry enough, and IF we ever get the trail trimmed, everyone needs to bypass all that stuff. Access can be made through the stone gate near the parking lot. Keep straight to the stones at the other side and jump on the trail 20 feet or so past that second set of stones to the left. They are piling dirt at the top of the hill too but it's easily traversed.

Some punks removed some boards from the last bridge before the last climb to the exit so I'll have to address that as well.

I don't think anyone else has done any work on the trail since last June, so my apologies to Cliff Jones. I had said I'd see you June 6th, but I have a lot to do here. I will join a crew there sometime.

Anyway, Krug is a mess for now. I'll post when it's at least rideable and the status of the bypass of the field as well.
Can you dig it? I do.

Jones
ER Officer

Re: Krug Park

Postby Jones » Thu May 28, 2015 10:08 pm

No apology needed we are making good progress at Wyco and it Looks like you have your hands full at Krug Good luck and look forward to riding it this summer when it all drys out.
No Guts No Glory, No Brains Same Story

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:28 pm

Anyone jonesin' for singletrack? I was in St Jo today working at Krug. I got a lot done but it's still a mess. The city still has the silt barriers up. While I was trimming I also found a couple chainsaw opportunities. One is pretty big.

However, the Corby trails have gotten more love than Krug and should be good riding. I'm not sure about Girl Scout/Brownie but I know people have been riding them. We've been lucky and the last several storms missed us. So, if it's still too wet in the KC area, everyone is welcome here.

Pretend St Joseph has a space on the trail status page. IT SAYS OPEN AND RIPPIN!
Can you dig it? I do.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:09 pm

OK. 12 hours of trimming, two downed trees removed, face whackers trimmed out of corridor, and a stupid amount of overhanging vines cut out. This is all I have opened so far. The yellow is clear. I didn't get to the third gravel service road crossing before I ran out of trimmer line. Wednesday is my next planned foray. I might get lucky and get back sooner.

Can you dig it? I do.

Muther

Postby Muther » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:36 pm

Thanks for all the work you do up there.

You're right, there are trail systems further out of the metro that have a section, it seems to me that Krug, and the other St Joe trails, outa have a section here, too.

(Though far be it from me to want to add to workload that our already stellar NetAdmin's do around here.)
"Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:26 am

It would be cool if St Jo were on the trail status page. Honestly though, I don't think it would matter much. On the 17th all the KC trails were closed so that's why I posted it. If ANYTHING in KC is open, I wouldn't expect folks to travel here to ride. Reporting our trail status is tricky, too. People here have differing opinions on trail conditions and what is appropriate to ride. I like Earthriders standards but people with a lot more influence than me are a little more liberal. We have no organization here except for a facebook page that I can't seem to get approved on and you have to be a facebook member to even see it. Oh well. Thanks ER and KC for setting such a great example! I wish we could be as fortunate.
Can you dig it? I do.

Muther

Postby Muther » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:38 am

Yes, trail status can be quite contentious, even on the KC trails. Swope has had these issues, but it appears a fix has been put in place.

There are solutions to the trail staus, though. For other systems it is turned off. The Netadmins would have to weigh in, to help recommend a solution, should they see the need to add a section for Krug, and the other St Joe trails.

I was just thinking, that having a section on here for Krug (et al) would help drive traffic up there, and thereby adding to the opportunities for you all the get volunteers.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:57 am

We definately could use more riders around here. Krug has some ATV issues and legitimate use could help curb that. We don't have a lot of riders compared to the amount of trail. That's also part of our volunteer problem. There's over 20 miles for a pop. of 77K. I'm not sure of the KC metro's total miles right now but I know the metro area has nearly 3 mil. people. Oh yeah, MDC has approved an expansion of Sunbridge Hills CA trails. I wonder who is gonna be taking care of that if we can't keep up what we have?

If we did have a spot on the trail status page it might have to be like the Lawrence area where each trail is noted separately. The alternative, I suppose, could possibly be a pinned topic where trail conditions could be addressed separately, too. As an example (not counting yesterday's rain), right now, the Corby trails are both clear and trimmed. Girl Scout and Brownie just got fresh cuts and should be great. Krug is overall still a mess. And Sunbridge? I have no idea.

Anyway, riders are needed. Although when stuff is open around KC how many folks would drive here? Or volunteer here? It would be nice though! And I REALLY appreciate your thoughts about helping us with a status spot.
Can you dig it? I do.

Muther

Postby Muther » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:27 pm

I think that Krug just needs awareness beyond the hardcore MTB'ers, and there are a lot of "lurkers" on this site, and I belive once they see our trail list on the front page of the forums, they think those are all the trails available.

This would be the first step.

Getting good accurate maps of each trail up there, formatting them, and then getting those maps out to local shops, especially as a pdf. "Here are maps of the St Joe area trails. These are a few good things about them. Just wanting to get the good word out about these great trails. Could you just keep the trails in mind, and possibly mention them to your customers when you feel its appropriate" we are trying to drive some traffic up there, and are looking for a larger volunteer base."

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:45 pm

I've KINDA started this. First, my Garmin is an entry level one and doesn't have the most accurate mapping. It's not even Strava compatible. However, someone started an MTBproject.com entry for Krug and a couple other trails. They mapped it well enough but their descriptions were poor and mtbproject put them up for adoption. I took over and gave the needed details. They have GPX downloads available, as well, for each. Maybe I could print a bunch with information to mtbproject and the GPX files and take them to shops personally to be given out. To date, what's at mtbproject.com is the most accurate information about Krug. I'll check the download to see if I can get in in a "postable" format, too.

I think people around here find Krug too hard. It's hardly technical but the hills are what scare most off here. St. Jo bikers seem to prefer buff green level trails and that's why I've only seen two riders there, ever. I know some that do go there, though. Even if I don't personally see it.
Can you dig it? I do.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:59 pm

Ok. That GPX file is just that. Just a ton of coordinates. I'll get on the PC tonight and click on the "print" link to see what actually gets printed. So, right now, I know I can print/post a map image. I have a GPX file that I'm not sure what I can do to it. And, at the least, a link to the most current info.

Of course, I need to get it in better shape before I start inviting folks.
Can you dig it? I do.

Muther

Postby Muther » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:33 pm

I think we met last year. I was the one with the new baby blue Soma Analog (it fell twice) before the cancelled race up there at Krug.

I drive all over the metro for a living. I could easily deliver them. If you get me docs/pdf's I'll print them, and forward the shops the pdf's, too.

In fact, I would not mind even buying some cheapo flash drives, and including all of the local trails on them, and giving those to the shops. Does anyone have all of the local trail maps in one place (saving me the time and effort of looking for each, across the internetwebs?) I'll donate the cost of the drives to UTco/ER.

I'd love to include the St Joe trails.

The climbing is there, but I did it all, without walking, or even dabbing (except to dial in my wonky rear deraileuer, and take a whizz), and I did it weighing 270 pounds, on a 26" steel hard tail, with 32x34 my lowest gear. If my fatslow ass can do Krug, anyone can do it. Believe me, Krug is awesomeness squared. Behind Two Rivers, it is my favorite Missouri trail. The "bowls" past the power lines are beyond fun. No other place anyhwere even remotely close has a feature like that.

Muther

Postby Muther » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:36 pm

Where is there link to the other legal St Joe trails?

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:26 pm

I'm getting ready to take my daughter to the KC Devo. I have some more comments and questions. I'll get back on here tonight after we get back. But here is the link to mtbproject.com Girl Scout, and Brownie is there too.

http://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7002469 ... cout-trail

The Corby trails have no current map data anywhere. Corby South has undergone changes EACH TIME I've been there over the past year and it was confusing to begin with. More on that later, too.

Thanks for your comments on Krug. It helps my motivation to whip it back into shape!
Can you dig it? I do.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:35 pm

Before pulling the trigger on this I should accurately map the Corby trails. I know I can use my IPad to do that for mtbproject and it's more accurate than my low level Garmin. So, the main thing I really need to know is if any of the mtbproject stuff can be changed into a PDF format. Is that better than having a regular JPEG map inserted into a doc file? Now that I'm thinking about it, should I even mess with putting the other trails on mtbproject (if I can't use the information except on their site)? I know Shoffner can do some awesome mapping just using a GPX file. I suppose the mtbproject would be very useful if only to have THAT available.

Sunbridge Hills is kinda weird. It used to be closed to bikes. It's not anymore but the Dept of Conservation hasn't changed that status on their websites or printed materials. I THINK the southernmost part of that trail might be city property and the west side, too. On current local maps the whole thing is labeled Riverfront Park. However, I know MDC still controls at least part of it because the guys at Horizon Cycling said they were awaiting MDC approval to expand it to the northeast (even though the southern return trail is still unfinished). And they did get it approved. I eventually need to check it out for myself and also ask some more questions about it.

BUT, my main priority right now is getting Krug cleaned up. Once I get through all this bushy stuff it will go much faster until I reach The Bridges section. Then it'll get easier again until Powerline. I'm getting on it tomorrow and Wednesday and whenever my wife takes the kids swimming. I know now to take extra trimmer line with me.
Can you dig it? I do.

Return to “Krug Park”