Krug Park

Check trail status
Smooth&Flowey

Re: Krug Park

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:55 pm

I know this thread is Krug but until Saint Jo gets a trails status and dedicated forum section I figured I'd post this here. I just put map data for the Corby North and Corby South trails on mtbproject.com. The pages aren't done but you can get maps now, at least. North is really bushy and needs a trim. South REALLY needed the map because it's easy to get lost there. A bunch of the trail is made up of old CCC trails from the 1930's and two large fields create some navigation issues. It took me four rides there to finally figure out the right way to go. Adding to the navigation issue is the cyclocross route that includes a wide bridge that isn't used on the MTB trail. Here are Saint Jo's links:

http://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7006138/corby-south
http://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7006139/corby-north
http://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7002469 ... cout-trail
http://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7002470/brownie-trail
http://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7002468/krug-park

I don't know when I should add Sunbride Hills because the conservation department approved new trail construction and it's much easier to add a new trail into mtbproject than it is to add a large expansion to an existing one. Changes ARE possible after trails are added but it's much easier to dump a GPX file in right off the bat. Plus, Clydsdal (RT) is planning some reroutes up there for this fall. He, and others, have been trimming up there too so it might be a good time for me to check it out, finally. If you're familiar with it, you should too.
Can you dig it? I do.

RiceBurner

Postby RiceBurner » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:17 am

Thanks for maps!

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:56 am

We're still open. The rain missed us.
Can you dig it? I do.

Muther

Postby Muther » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:03 am

...another bonus for Krug, since it is further north, as opposed to east or west, it has a tendency to miss a lot of our rain storms, and when it doesn't, like Wyoco, its hills really help it dry out quickly.
"Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

ptooi
Site Admin

Re: RE: Re: Krug Park

Postby ptooi » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:36 pm

Smooth&Flowey wrote:We're still open. The rain missed us.

Sorry, didn't realize the twitter thingamabob wasn't working. Fixed now.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:50 am

We're going to do something about most of the bridges Sunday. Meeting at top of Krug 8:00.
Can you dig it? I do.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:21 pm

Thanks Brooke Haynes, Scott Woods, and Mike Smith for bustin' ass for a few hours this morning. Without their help, it would have taken me a long time to do what we got done. Krug is basically back to where it was before the flash flood. We replaced two of the damaged bridges. One crossing has 12 inch planks for a temporary "skinny" crossing. You can ride it if you so choose or use it to walk over. At least something is there now as that bridge was totally washed away. The plan is to build a higher bridge that,hopefully, will avoid flood waters. The last flood damaged bridge was intact and I moved it back into place Friday. So, we're back to just the long bridge near the end that was damaged by a motorcycle and, eventually, replacing the temporary skinny with a real bridge.
Can you dig it? I do.

Muther

Postby Muther » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:41 pm

Seek the advice and knowledge of the Smithville crew, they are experts at building and repalcing bridges, and making sure that they can be tracked down after mother nature decides she doe not like them where they are.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:08 pm

I was thinking that EXACT thing. The best for us all would be if I could help them get theirs back up. Nothing like some practical knowledge. My availability is wierd. I'll reach out to Dr. Dover and see what can be arranged.
Can you dig it? I do.

Muther

Postby Muther » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:25 pm

You might ask Neale to add you to the Northland Google Mail group.

Dover, Justin, and Neale can hook you up with serious knowledges.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:00 pm

Getting things done at Krug. The old bridge, that has been damaged since April, is just too long for us to manage and maintain. It's about 22 ft long. I found a 10 ft gap just east that I'm going to put a 14 foot span over. I could get away with 12 but 14 will work better and I can still get the materials in there by myself with a 200lb. capacity canoe portage cart. It's narrow enough to go on some narrow sections of trail and it won't damage it either! I'm going to use critical structural and ground contact lumber as needed so it will last a lot longer. The in run has a berm for the faster riders. It may need fine tuning after it's all said and done. I'm just so happy it's getting done. I watched a 6 yr old kid almost fall off the old bridge. His dad was very thankful I was putting a new one in and that's all the motivation I needed! This time next week I should have it ready.

Here's the in run with the spot for my sill. The old (only 3 yrs old) one is visible on the left.
Can you dig it? I do.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:18 pm

Was starting the bridge installation today and came across a couple having sex just off the trail! :shock: Sorry, no photos.
Can you dig it? I do.

Muther

Postby Muther » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:47 pm

Please define "couple" before I comment.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:55 pm

It was a man and woman. I THOUGHT I was gonna sneak up on someone setting up a homeless camp. I was quiet, sneaky, and very wrong. There was NO doubt what was going on!
Can you dig it? I do.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:40 pm

Good news! The bridge that has been damaged since April is no longer an issue. I installed a more permanent structure close by. It's designed to discourage ATV's and horses. Hope that works! I had planned to link it to the existing trail nearby but Randy Tracy asked what I thought about extending the trail and rejoining it at the top of the hill. I had already scouted it and planned for that possibility. So, instead, there's an itty bitty hike-a-bike after the bridge while we do the extension. Unless I find out otherwise when I finally get to ride tomorrow, all crossings are good. There is one with temporary planks while I learn some more about bridges. But, at least, we can get across everything now.
Can you dig it? I do.

Return to “Krug Park”