Krug Park

Check trail status
Muther

Re: Krug Park

Postby Muther » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:51 am

I know nothing about any mapping tools. No help there for you.

Good luck.
"Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

Toxis

Postby Toxis » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:45 pm

Thought this might help your cause but I noticed that Crowder state park has a forum here and their last post was a year ago.
UNOFFICIAL SLOWEST RIDER OF '11 & '12.
SLOWEST REGULAR RIDER OF '13, '14, '15 and beyond I'm sure.
Bought a fat bike to hold the record...

Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:48 pm

Thanks, Toxis! Maybe I don't have to have EVERYTHING mapped and ready to get the admins to pop something in.

Well, I got a little more progress at Krug today. I finally made it into the old, old trails that don't require a ton of work. Things should go fairly fast until I get to The Bridges section. All the YELLOW is trimmed and clear. Should be a good bit of untrimmed trail that is rideable beyond. It was nice to see some tire tracks in there too!

Can you dig it? I do.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:26 pm

Don't know for sure when I'll get back up there. But all the yellow is cleared. The green didn't need any trimming because it was so wide open. And the blue I only got the right side trimmed but it is pretty rideable. The pink X is a tree down that I can't cut until I get back out there. You can get past it easy enough. I wanted to note it, though, because it is on a fast downhill and I don't want anyone to be surprised. Where I left off, the trail is not too bad but there are face whackers. I can't say for sure what lies beyond.

I saw some more tire tracks again! That's nice. Hopefully, in a couple more weeks, I'll lay down some of my own. BTW, on my way out, I saw tracks on some of the old footpaths. I'm not saying no one should ride them but they aren't part of the MTB trail. I'm only clearing the MTB trail so if any signs have been stolen, keep the trimming in mind to stay on the right track.

All the other trails in St. Joseph are trimmed and cleared. But I honestly can't say what condition Sunbridge Hills is in.
Can you dig it? I do.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:02 pm

Well, got some more trimming done this week. Krug Park is starting to feel better. I've seen motorcycle and ATV damage in there. The last bridge, which is still in untrimmed territory, has partially collapsed. No doubt from the 500 lbs of motorcycle and rider that went through there. Even worse is that he went tearing off through the woods in some places. No respect.

The yellow is what's trimmed, of course. The tree is still down at the pink X. I haven't blown any debris off the trail, yet. Just want to get the trimming done first.

Last edited by Smooth&Flowey on Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can you dig it? I do.

Muther

Postby Muther » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:01 am

Keep it up.
"Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

RiceBurner

Postby RiceBurner » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:56 pm

The hard work is much appreciated. Come enjoy the fruits of my labor at Green Hills Hike/Bike Trails by Chillicothe, MO. In Poosey Conservation Area. Weather permitting of course.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:44 pm

RiceBurner wrote:The hard work is much appreciated. Come enjoy the fruits of my labor at Green Hills Hike/Bike Trails by Chillicothe, MO. In Poosey Conservation Area. Weather permitting of course.

I DO want to check out Green Hills sometime! EVERY time I see a fern on our trail I think of yours.
Can you dig it? I do.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:57 pm

BTW, someone who has already earned his St Jo dirt surprised me with a photo showing what he did at Krug today. Rather than posting another map, I updated the above map with his work. THANKS BLAKE!
Can you dig it? I do.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:45 pm

DAAAAYM! Blake Hoppe put a big dent in the Krug trimming. And like I said, he's already earned his dirt. New map
Can you dig it? I do.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:54 pm

Well, I happy to say that Krug Park is trimmed and ready for riders. After about 30 hours myself, Blake Hoppe and Josh Smith put in about another 10+ hours to finish the job. I (and my wife) are grateful for their help. This whole thing has been a labor of love for this fall line fun trail. We don't have ANY organizational support for volunteers like the Earthriders. We just go out when we can and just do it. I had fully anticipated having to finish the whole thing myself. But those guys jumped in on their own for the love of Krug.

I know the KC area has some awesome trails. I've started exploring them fairly recently and almost matched my riding hours there clearing trail at Kessler. I'm NOT fishing for volunteer support for out trails (yet). I just know that everyone has a choice on where to ride and with such awesome trails nearby why drive up to Saint Joseph and cut into your ride time?

Mostly, we NEED more legitimate users at Krug. Our trail miles per capita are possibly higher than the KC area but we don't have as many mountain bikers per capita. Krug is our most difficult trail and doesn't get as much use as the other trails and now ATV's and motorcycles are in our park. We don't have park security/police and the Saint Joseph PD probably considers our issue a low priority.

Compared to KC trails, Krug is pretty easy. But if your trails are a bit too wet or you're just interested in something a little different, come give Krug a ride. There are people here whose voices carry more weight than mine. Quite often they tell folks to go ride when I consider the trails too wet. I'm not going to get in a pissing contest with anyone over our trail conditions. If conditions are sketchy, everything in KC is too wet, and St Jo locals are telling people to go ride, I'll tell folks here in the forum that they're welcome (along with my own opinion of the conditions). This could be a better option than gravel. Anyway, unless the admins decide to include us in the Trail Conditions, I'll just have to report it here.

Right now, everything in Saint Joseph is open. I do have a few trees to cut at Krug so keep your fingers on your brake levers a few more days. It's best to start Krug at the top of the hill through both sets of stone gates until the city finishes it's work. You'll see the trail cross before you go downhill. Just turn left and have fun. Downloadable GPS tracks are available at mtbproject.com to make it easy. If you just want to explore, we didn't trim any of the footpaths. So if it gets too shaggy it probably isn't the right way. THANKS

-Lee Clark
Last edited by Smooth&Flowey on Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Can you dig it? I do.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:31 pm

I forgot, IF the city has the main entrance closed because of their work, you can still access the park through the rear entrance. From Saint Joseph Avenue, turn onto Greene by the Dairy Queen. Then turn at 5th to get to the rear entrance. You can park by the buffalo pen and have a short ride through the closed parking lot to the stone gate at the other end. Then, as I previously said, go straight on top of that hill to the other stone gate (just watch out for the city crew's dump trucks and dozers) and turn left at the MTB trail crossing.
Can you dig it? I do.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:37 pm

Randy Tracy and I got the trees cleared off the trail. It was a good chance to check the trimming. The last part isn't quite IMBA standards clear. So, if you ride there, you didn't get on the wrong path. We'll get 'er done. That damaged bridge may be that way for a while. I have a few ideas but none of them are easy. Just be careful.
Can you dig it? I do.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:20 pm

Raining now. St. Jo is out.
Can you dig it? I do.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:04 pm

Except the 1st 1/4 mi., Krug is open! It's trimmed out beautiful now. Going up the hills might be tricky cause it's a little slick. But not really muddy. Girl Scout MIGHT be muddy on the north side. Sunbridge is overgrown I heard.

Careful on the damaged bridge! Enter the trail at the top of the hill through the stone gates. Turn left. Enjoy the dirt!!!
Can you dig it? I do.

Return to “Krug Park”