Krug Park

Check trail status
Toxis

Re: Krug Park

Postby Toxis » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:26 pm

Still think it should have its own section. Super easy for an admin to add too...not sure about the Twitter feed tho.
UNOFFICIAL SLOWEST RIDER OF '11 & '12.
SLOWEST REGULAR RIDER OF '13, '14, '15 and beyond I'm sure.
Bought a fat bike to hold the record...

Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:05 pm

We got just enough rain to close us down. Hopefully, there won't be much more.
Can you dig it? I do.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:15 pm

Krug Park is open! There are a few mud spots but it's mostly dry. You can ride from the start if you wish and do the whole thing. Damn, go ride some dirt!
Can you dig it? I do.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:27 pm

New trees down. Nothing that even my old out of shape ass can't get over even if it catches my chainring. I FINALLY got to take a bike there. Only three damp spots. One muddy. The rest is hooking up awesome!
Can you dig it? I do.

Muther

Postby Muther » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:47 am

How did Krug do today, did the rain miss it?

Boy, we DO need to get a Krug its own section, and a status update mechanism.
"Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:10 pm

We only got a trace earlier but it just got more about 15 min. ago. Not much. Hoping for a short-lived closure.
Can you dig it? I do.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:37 pm

I haven't checked the trail but I'm gonna call it OPEN. I'm not far from it. We only got a trace and we're dry already. A few spots are still soft and one muddy. One significant tree down after Top of the World but rideable.
Can you dig it? I do.

bdavis

Postby bdavis » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:01 pm

Came up with a buddy of mine from Olathe this weekend and had a BLAST on the trail. Sure is a fun one!!

Muther

Postby Muther » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:57 pm

Still open, no rain?
"Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

Jones
ER Officer

Postby Jones » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:45 pm

anyone have a link to the most up to date trail map and best place to park.
No Guts No Glory, No Brains Same Story

jspell

Postby jspell » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:41 pm

I am not aware of a good map but here is something. http://stjtrailmaps.blogspot.com
When you get to the park drive up the hill and the road goes up and to the right in a oneway loop through the park, just when you reach the top of the hill there is a trail sign on the right side of the road. It has a map and the trail start and exit are right there. Just go past the trail head and there is a parking lot. In the 20 plus years I have been riding there never had a problem parking my vehicle. One trail tip, when the single track runs into a road or wider path, go straight across! And bring you good legs!
OLDFATSLOW

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:10 pm

The HEAVY rains last night just missed Saint Joseph! We're open. As far as trail maps go, you can download a GPX file at mtbproject.com and they also have an app for your phone. MOST trail intersections are marked with brown boards with white arrows or an unmarked carsonite post. We purposely didn't trim any of the footpaths to aid navigation. mtbproject's description includes directions for a couple spots that may cause confusion. Parking. When you drive to the top, you'll see the start and finish of the trail. Parking is immediately after that.

mtbproject.com has Krug as a featured ride instead of a single trail (which it really is). The admins edited it that way so you won't see it in the trail section. Just scroll down. The easiest way to find it on the site is to zoom into St. Jo on the map and it will be clickable on the map and listed to the right of it.

One bigger tree to get over and one bridge still needing repair!

This SHOULD link right to the page with printable and downloadable maps and all the descriptions.
http://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7002468/krug-park
Can you dig it? I do.

thedukefamily

Postby thedukefamily » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:52 pm

Is the city done hauling dirt up the park road? Being a conservative town they can be real pricks. They made us drive around to the back of the park to ride the trails last winter

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:21 pm

I'm glad you brought that up. Weekend riders probably won't have this issue. And I only had this happen in the mornings while I was getting it trimmed.

IF the main entrance is closed go south on Saint Joseph Avenue to Green St. It is at the little Dairy Queen. Then go to 5th street. Both are 3-ways so you can't turn wrong. The back entrance is on 5th. You'll see it on the right. I think 5th dead ends so you'll know if you missed it. Through the rear gate you should go left until you get to where the city will have the road blocked. You'll see the buffalo pen there and that's the closest place to park when they do the closure. Just park parallel in case they open the road while you're out on the trail. The trailhead, from there, is just past the end of the large closed parking lot on the main road.

Every time I went there when it was closed (for me, it was only AM weekdays), they had it reopened by the time I left. If you aren't familiar with Krug, and this happens, be sure to leave in the direction of the back gate because it it normally a one way road.
Can you dig it? I do.

ScottL
ER Officer

Postby ScottL » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:01 am

Thanks for the info, are there any potable water sources near the trailhead btw?

Return to “Krug Park”