Other St. Joseph Trail News

Check trail status
Smooth&Flowey

Other St. Joseph Trail News

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:54 pm

I went out to Corby South to cut a couple downed trees. I was beaten to it! I'm sure I know who it was. Got some good practice riding with the chainsaw in my Dakine Builder's pack, though. They also cut some overhanging vines that were encroaching the corridor. A plank was installed at an eroded out spot. So, it's a good time to check it out. We'll have the neighboring Corby North fixed up Saturday, weather permitting.

Here's the map:
http://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7006138/corby-south
Can you dig it? I do.

Smooth&Flowey

Re: Other St. Joseph Trail News

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:47 am

Both Corby trails are in good shape. Great beginner level trails. especially Corby North. Ride 'em both for a nice 5 miler.

http://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7006139/corby-north

The combo:
http://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7006152/the-corby-combo
Can you dig it? I do.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:18 am

I had my first taste of Sunbridge Hills Conservation Area yesterday. I haven't been there in over 15 years. Back then, it was closed to bikes so I hiked, snowshoed, and cursed the mountain bikers like all the uniformed users do. Now, bikes not only have permission but have gotten approval for expansion into an adjacent natural area. I'm not sure what will come about in that area because the public land corridor between the two areas is VERY narrow and VERY steep. Building sustainable access between the two could be too great of a challenge. Time and more inspection will tell.

The current bike route at Sunbridge reminds me A LOT of Kessler Park. The steepest downhill I have ever rode was just the tip of the iceberg. In reverse, you might need a rope to get up! There was more rock than most St Jo trails (except for the super short Brownie trail) but it wasn't techy at all, just there. There were sections of exposure like Kessler and one place was REALLY on the edge. The warning from Randy Tracy as I approached it was greatly appreciated.

Eventually, the trail got to City property and the "park that's not a park." Online maps call it River Bluffs Park. Parks Department calls it the River Bluffs Tract because it was never completed. The trail even cuts through one of the structures from the 1930's. Time restraints kept us from doing the whole trail and we returned to Krug on the road. I'll get back there sometime and will try to have a map online someday. There are so many old ATV trails through there that a map or knowledgeable local is a necessity for the full route.
Can you dig it? I do.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:17 pm

This is big news for us. We will be renovating and adding new trails at Sunbridge Hills Conservation Area. As it is now, the contiguous loops have some issues. We'll address this first. We'll add new trail in the south that is entirely on public land. The existing trail, way to the south, does cross into private land. CURRENTLY this is not an issue and these trails will remain open. MDofC wants the new trail in place should any private landowners change their minds about access. There's more to it but I'll spare you the details. Any potential technical Spurs will be seriously considered.

When that's done, we will expand the trails into the northeast part of Sunbridge. This MAY include the Caroline Sheridan Logan Memorial Wildlife Area. There might be a legal issue preventing that but MDofC does want it to happen (this is where the waterfall pic is from in my Tech Trail Help post). There are also plans to develop a flatland technical trail at Sunbridge.

Needless to say, I won't be working at Krug Park very much. It has seen a resurgence in local popularity and more people are coming from out of town. So, at the moment, it's being well maintained and I hope it stays that way.

NEW TRAILS! Hell yes!
Can you dig it? I do.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:28 pm

A new repair stand appeared at the parking lot near the end of Corby North. Image
Can you dig it? I do.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:22 pm

I have reopened the Comeback Trail in River Bluffs Park. This is in the city property immediately south of Sunbridge Hills Conservation Area. Because of the ATV paths, a guide or the maps at mtbproject.com are almost a necessity. I think the trail IMMEDIATELY off the Sunbridge Hills parking lot is in need of trimming AGAIN!!!! Ugh. Maybe, we can have a workday there sometime.
Can you dig it? I do.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:44 pm

Rumor has it that there have been improvements in the jump line at Girl Scout. I have not seen it, yet. But I don't expect it to be anything like Kessler or Oz. It did need improvement, nonetheless. Besides, we need baby steps. You know I have stuff in my head. I'll let folks here get more comfortable jumping while I start adding tech out at Sunbridge (and some non-tech that the Conservation Dept wants). Then, St. Jo may be ready for what's in my head. In the meantime, maybe it will help me get enough courage to really hit those KC jump lines instead of rolling them.
Can you dig it? I do.

Smooth&Flowey

Tales from the Trail

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:41 pm

I had an interesting event while removing invasive honeysuckle this afternoon. I had a small pile of branches on the trail. I had been using Tordon on large plants. But I use my mattock to grub smaller ones. I had left it off the trail, pick end driven into the ground, in the honeysuckle. Any legitimate trail user would have had no issue avoiding it. However, a motorcycle doing at least 25 can't stop as fast as a mountain bike. I was standing off trail about 30 feet before the pile of limbs. As I hear him coming, I'm trying to get my phone's camera ready. He nearly hits me as he turns into the area I had just cleared and runs over my mattock as he runs through the young honeysuckle. He was going so fast that he didn't even stop until he was about 100 feet uphill. Of course, he had his opinion about who's fault it was and shared it with me. Not only did he think I shouldn't leave tools off the side of the trail, but if I don't want to get run over, I shouldn't be there looking at my phone (standing off trail in a city park). So, as he's telling me what he's going to do to me if I messed up his motorcycle, I was dialing 911. He immediately took off and I was obliged to tell them why I called. Unfortunately, no one was on patrol in the area and it's all too easy for them to exit the park elsewhere. At the very least, he's gonna slow down when he sees a workzone, lest he run over more tools. And the police have another report of an incident regarding motorcycles in our parks. I hate to think of anyone else being there. Instead of my mattock, it could have been another volunteer.
Can you dig it? I do.

Olathejoe

Re: Tales from the Trail

Postby Olathejoe » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:37 am

Smooth&Flowey wrote:I had an interesting event while removing invasive honeysuckle this afternoon. I had a small pile of branches on the trail. I had been using Tordon on large plants. But I use my mattock to grub smaller ones. I had left it off the trail, pick end driven into the ground, in the honeysuckle. Any legitimate trail user would have had no issue avoiding it. However, a motorcycle doing at least 25 can't stop as fast as a mountain bike. I was standing off trail about 30 feet before the pile of limbs. As I hear him coming, I'm trying to get my phone's camera ready. He nearly hits me as he turns into the area I had just cleared and runs over my mattock as he runs through the young honeysuckle. He was going so fast that he didn't even stop until he was about 100 feet uphill. Of course, he had his opinion about who's fault it was and shared it with me. Not only did he think I shouldn't leave tools off the side of the trail, but if I don't want to get run over, I shouldn't be there looking at my phone (standing off trail in a city park). So, as he's telling me what he's going to do to me if I messed up his motorcycle, I was dialing 911. He immediately took off and I was obliged to tell them why I called. Unfortunately, no one was on patrol in the area and it's all too easy for them to exit the park elsewhere. At the very least, he's gonna slow down when he sees a workzone, lest he run over more tools. And the police have another report of an incident regarding motorcycles in our parks. I hate to think of anyone else being there. Instead of my mattock, it could have been another volunteer.

Sounds like you got a glimpse of the future when ebikes take over the trails.
Defiantly = bold disobedience Definitely = without a doubt

Toxis

Postby Toxis » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:14 am

Not true, Ebikes don't make enough noise for him to be trying to get his camera ready. But hopefully your magic 8 ball will be there to tell him when one will be ripping through causing danger to anyone within a quarter mile. Oh man, once their batteries start going all Samsung on us, then ISIS will be using them as mobile bombs! Oh man, the future of MTB just took a vicious turn for the worse...
UNOFFICIAL SLOWEST RIDER OF '11 & '12.
SLOWEST REGULAR RIDER OF '13, '14, '15 and beyond I'm sure.
Bought a fat bike to hold the record...

Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.

Olathejoe

Postby Olathejoe » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:13 am

Toxis wrote:Not true, Ebikes don't make enough noise for him to be trying to get his camera ready. But hopefully your magic 8 ball will be there to tell him when one will be ripping through causing danger to anyone within a quarter mile. Oh man, once their batteries start going all Samsung on us, then ISIS will be using them as mobile bombs! Oh man, the future of MTB just took a vicious turn for the worse...

Weird, my magic 8 ball is saying that Toxis will soon be in the market for an ebike, if he's not already.
Defiantly = bold disobedience Definitely = without a doubt

Muther

Postby Muther » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:48 am

LMAO, he's riding and doing a poor job of it) on an illegal trail (for him) in an obvious work zone, and he has the gall the be outraged?

Idiots

I am glad you weren't hurt.

I am not glad that he was not hurt.
"Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

Sasquatch1413

Re: Tales from the Trail

Postby Sasquatch1413 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:21 pm

Smooth&Flowey wrote:I had an interesting event while removing invasive honeysuckle this afternoon. I had a small pile of branches on the trail. I had been using Tordon on large plants. But I use my mattock to grub smaller ones. I had left it off the trail, pick end driven into the ground, in the honeysuckle. Any legitimate trail user would have had no issue avoiding it. However, a motorcycle doing at least 25 can't stop as fast as a mountain bike. I was standing off trail about 30 feet before the pile of limbs. As I hear him coming, I'm trying to get my phone's camera ready. He nearly hits me as he turns into the area I had just cleared and runs over my mattock as he runs through the young honeysuckle. He was going so fast that he didn't even stop until he was about 100 feet uphill. Of course, he had his opinion about who's fault it was and shared it with me. Not only did he think I shouldn't leave tools off the side of the trail, but if I don't want to get run over, I shouldn't be there looking at my phone (standing off trail in a city park). So, as he's telling me what he's going to do to me if I messed up his motorcycle, I was dialing 911. He immediately took off and I was obliged to tell them why I called. Unfortunately, no one was on patrol in the area and it's all too easy for them to exit the park elsewhere. At the very least, he's gonna slow down when he sees a workzone, lest he run over more tools. And the police have another report of an incident regarding motorcycles in our parks. I hate to think of anyone else being there. Instead of my mattock, it could have been another volunteer.

Keep fighting the good fight Lee! Not much you can do but keep reporting them.
My what big wheels you have.

Smooth&Flowey

Kid's Tour Publicity

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:46 pm

We had a kid's bike event in St Jo today. For the first time, a singletrack option was available. One of the local channels was covering the event and was very interested in the singletrack as they were unfamiliar it even existed. So, a lot of questions were asked that didn't even pertain to the event. I was very excited about all the questions regarding our trails (and surprised by their enthusiasm) and we talked for almost half an hour. Needless to say, they could shorten the whole thing to 2 minutes. But when asked about raising awareness, I made it a point to mention my appreciation to EarthRiders. I wanted y'all to know since it very well could be edited out. But your inclusion of Krug Park, which is just a small bit of our system, has brought us more traffic and even a workday volunteer. Anyway, if it's edited out, I appreciate the recognition and awareness. I should renew my membership.
Can you dig it? I do.

Return to “Krug Park”