Closed to tires < 4" wide (Smooth&Flowey 2015-09-02) edit this

Check trail status
Jones
ER Officer

Closed to tires < 4" wide (Smooth&Flowey 2015-09-02) edit this

Postby Jones » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:39 am

"Closed to tires < 4" wide (Smooth&Flowey 2015-09-02)"

So why no fat bikes at krug? I'm rolling 4.5" so your little note says I cant ride.
No Guts No Glory, No Brains Same Story

jlbay

Re: Closed to tires < 4" wide (Smooth&Flowey 2015-09-02) edit this

Postby jlbay » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:47 am

< = less than
> = greater than

jlbay

Postby jlbay » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:47 am

The alligator mouth wants the most apples.

watts888

Postby watts888 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:51 am

jlbay wrote:The alligator mouth wants the most apples.

awesome. there's aligators ag Krug.
"A hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

Muther

Postby Muther » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:01 am

watts888 wrote:
jlbay wrote:The alligator mouth wants the most apples.

awesome. there's aligators ag Krug.

And they eat apples. So htere are lots of Apples at Krug, too?
Do they have paw paws. I love paw paws. Stocksdale has paw paws.
"Strange things are afoot at the Circle K"

Sasquatch1413

Postby Sasquatch1413 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:09 am

maths, whooda thunk?
My what big wheels you have.

Neale

Postby Neale » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:33 am

Jones wrote:"Closed to tires < 4" wide (Smooth&Flowey 2015-09-02)"

So why no fat bikes at krug? I'm rolling 4.5" so your little note says I cant ride.

I'm wondering if this is due to the rain they had early am. But, curious too when I read the txt on trail status. Saying its ok to ride a fat bike on wet trails? (hope not...not wanting to set some tire width precedence)
Self-deception isn't the worst thing we do, but it makes it possible for us to do the worst things. -Timothy Keller

watts888

Postby watts888 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:51 am

Neale wrote: Saying its ok to ride a fat bike on wet trails? (hope not...not wanting to set some tire width precedence)

fat bikes break all the rules. they are invincible
"A hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

Neale

Postby Neale » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:03 am

Of course they are....

(Also see my signature ....)
Self-deception isn't the worst thing we do, but it makes it possible for us to do the worst things. -Timothy Keller

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:03 am

They explained it, much to my amusement.

Here's the details. The rain hit us last night. Thus, the closure. We have been told that Fatties are allowed on Saint Joseph trails even when it's muddy! I was personally told that I could share that information with everyone, so it's not just a locals only thing. I mentioned it in an earlier post (before we got on the Trails page) but it has since gotten a little buried by newer posts.

Neale, I understand and agree with you on this! I'm just passing the info along. Plus, everyone who reads this should understand that our trails are more tolerant to damage and get a lot less usage. Most of our trails are footpaths that have gotten packed down since the 1930's. It's crazy steep in places and sheds well. Personally, I don't ride a fattie and I am more in line with KC standards for usage and conditions. There are voices in St Jo that carry a lot more weight than my own. When I was told to share it with everyone, I hesitated. Those guys built our trails and I suppose they know them better than myself. Even if increased usage by fat bikes does not cause problems here, nobody should ever use us as some precedent or excuse to do the same in KC. St Jo trails, KC area trails, apples and oranges.

Since I spend a lot of time walking at Krug, I have noticed fat tracks in one or two small places that will always be issues. No reroutes are possible there and only a new bridge would help. If it weren't for those spots, I may never have known they were there.
Can you dig it? I do.

beflict_19

Postby beflict_19 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:14 am

Any predictions for trail status for the weekend? I think I'm going to come up from KC to visit my parents for the long weekend and actually attempt to remember my bike for a change.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:21 am

As I had said, I hesitated passing this information along. But this is what changed my mind. Our biggest issue is motorcycle and ATV damage. I've been out doing trail work and heard them in the distance on wet and rainy days. Later, I would find out they were, in fact, on our trail. This has been an ongoing issue and the motorcycle tracks in the mud confirmed that they were responsible for the initial damage to the bridge that I just built a replacement for. They had even gone off-trail tearing through the woods. I decided to share the fat bike thing because we REALLY need the presence of legitimate users to help discourage the motorized traffic. While I don't always see eye to eye with our decision makers on our status or conditions, I felt the fat bikes were the lesser of the two evils.
Can you dig it? I do.

beflict_19

Postby beflict_19 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:25 am

Oh I think I miss worded that. I was asking do you think the St joe trails with be open and dry for us non fat bikers this weekend? Its kinda interesting though, the motos used to spend all their time in sunbridge/bluff woods. They made a lot of the trails out there, I guess the conservation dept finally scared them out.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:36 am

beflict_19 wrote:Any predictions for trail status for the weekend? I think I'm going to come up from KC to visit my parents for the long weekend and actually attempt to remember my bike for a change.

If we don't get any more rain, and that appears to be the case, we should be open to all mountain bikes by Friday afternoon. Maybe sooner. There are low spots on all of our trails that are always going to be an issue while the rest of the trail is hero dirt or even dry. So, I don't let those spots bother me. The North half of Girl Scout Trail isn't as good at drying as the rest of our trails.
Can you dig it? I do.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:48 am

beflict_19 wrote: Its kinda interesting though, the motos used to spend all their time in sunbridge/bluff woods. They made a lot of the trails out there, I guess the conservation dept finally scared them out.

That is the main reason the Conservation Department opened Sunbridge to bikes. They even approved new trail construction. Bluffwoods still has that issue. When horses were no longer allowed there, MDC had to ban bikes too (just to appease the equine community). At Krug, I'm sure it's people that live near the back side and enter at the "exit to Sunbridge " connector.
Can you dig it? I do.

Return to “Krug Park”