Sunbridge Hills Conservation Area

Check trail status
Smooth&Flowey

Sunbridge Hills Conservation Area

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:20 am

Last year, I was poking around the conservation area looking for routes and found some property line issues. I went to the regional office to figure things out. The area manager told me that he wanted to improve what was there before building new stuff. He was very specific and I told him I could get it done.

Without boring everyone with details, the first step is done. The main loop is back. It's a bit over 3 miles. It has some beginner level tech, some Kessler-like exposure, and spectacular views above the river. There are additional miles of trail south of the CA on city land. All of which, eventually, will get some needed attention.

It's the easiest trail to get to from out of town. It's right off I-229. Directions, conditions, and maps are here:

http://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7008751 ... ation-area
Can you dig it? I do.

Somefearinhere

Re: Sunbridge Hills Conservation Area

Postby Somefearinhere » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:49 pm

Smooth&Flowey wrote:Last year, I was poking around the conservation area looking for routes and found some property line issues. I went to the regional office to figure things out. The area manager told me that he wanted to improve what was there before building new stuff. He was very specific and I told him I could get it done.

Without boring everyone with details, the first step is done. The main loop is back. It's a bit over 3 miles. It has some beginner level tech, some Kessler-like exposure, and spectacular views above the river. There are additional miles of trail south of the CA on city land. All of which, eventually, will get some needed attention.

It's the easiest trail to get to from out of town. It's right off I-229. Directions, conditions, and maps are here:

http://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7008751 ... ation-area

Good work!!!!!
Max

All Religions Are Fairy Tales

beflict_19

Postby beflict_19 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:16 pm

With the great weather on the forecast, I think I may bring the mtb back to St Joe while I'm in town for the weekend. I'd love to check this out, haven't been out in Sunbridge since 2006, probably. Is this just the old sun bridge entrance, turning right and going past 'Felix's grave'...or what all do i need to know? I'll probably ride Krug and exit out the back and cross the bridge to get there if that still works?

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:37 am

beflict_19 wrote:With the great weather on the forecast, I think I may bring the mtb back to St Joe while I'm in town for the weekend. I'd love to check this out, haven't been out in Sunbridge since 2006, probably. Is this just the old sun bridge entrance, turning right and going past 'Felix's grave'...or what all do i need to know? I'll probably ride Krug and exit out the back and cross the bridge to get there if that still works?

Well, yes, you are exactly right. This is the correct route. The only difference between now and 2006 is the last quarter of the trail. You may remember how the old trail went up the old roadbed toward the big water tank. The original trail was not built with bikes in mind and went along the chainlink fence, out in the open for a bit, before getting back to the field at the top. Now, continue up the old roadbed until you are just a few yards from Huntoon Road. You will see the newer trail there. The brand new stuff isn't "finished" but it's done enough to ride. When it rejoins the old trail, you will see another route (can't miss it) that was made a few years ago but became overgrown. That is open again. It ends right at the parking lot. My first post in this thread has a link to the maps and stuff! BUT, this weekend, you should avoid Sunbridge. See my next post.
Can you dig it? I do.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:40 am

Last night, a man was found dead in a car at the parking lot. No details have been released, yet. I'm sure the entire lot is closed for the investigation.
Can you dig it? I do.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:24 am

I've been told, by a very reliable source, that it was a suicide. So, the lot should be open tomorrow, if not already.
Can you dig it? I do.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Sat May 21, 2016 10:55 am

Due to increased interest from KC riders, I want to detail the condition of Sunbridge. The section of the loop that's immediately south of the parking lot is overgrown with nettles. It sneaked up on me because I just reopened it this winter and had never been on it before then. The main option is to ride Huntoon Rd. from the parking lot to the top of the downhill (by the big water tank). Easy as pie.

Please yield to everyone. Riding within your limits includes being able to stop when encountering others. MOST of the downhill allows for seeing VERY far ahead. Use common sense and everyone has fun.
Can you dig it? I do.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Tue May 31, 2016 10:24 am

The main Sunbridge loop is navigable now. There are a few spots needing loppers and some chainsaw work. The downhill may be getting nettles but nothing like what I just finished trimming. I'll check it out.

Upper River Bluffs trail is mostly fine to the chimneys. Use ATV paths for Comeback back to the top of the downhill. Overgrown singletrack in this area will be reopened soon to help you get even more lost!
Can you dig it? I do.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:37 pm

Much good has come about from last year's trail reroute and reopenings. A good side effect was a high speed downhill was created when an overgrown section was reopened and a 4-wheeler invasion trail was incorporated at the end. There are no jumps and such. Just a fully coastable path for 3/10 of a mile. Unfortunately, few riders were able to ride back up the steep 4-wheeler section back to the main intersection. So, I built a small technical climb back up to the intersection. I'll have to admit that some places absolutely suck any flow out of what could have been possible. Much of that was deliberate to add to the difficulty. One terrible switchback is the only section I have not cleaned. I was going to finish it out to be rideable, but I saw three people use three different techniques to clean it so it's staying as is (I'll just have to get better). I even found a nice drop in the middle of the climb.

During that build, which is on River Bluffs Park property, MDC agreed to more trail development within the MDC land. Since then, I signed a cooperative agreement with the area manager that basically gives us written permission to do what we already do (maintenance) and to do all the new trail building which every part of would be illegal, otherwise. There are folks that don't care for MTBs or don't think there's a need for any new trails. So, they can suck it, we have permission.

Construction has begun on a beginner level trail to get users into an unused section of the area. Getting back to my smooth and flowey roots. It will also join a new trailhead and take users to the edge of a wildlife area that trail construction may not be possible. So, this will get you there and you can then explore the wildlife area (but only hiking is allowed off-trail).

Supposedly, I have permission to build a super gnarly advanced level trail throw the best part of the property. My route keeps getting shorter as I keep presenting it to the area manager. I'm going to be persistent with it and, hopefully, get started on it soon.

Other little reroutes and stuff are in the plan. Some are gnar and a possible jump line that lies in the adjacent city property. All around I think there will be an additional 5 miles. But that keeps getting changed so we'll see. But new stuff is going in and that's what matters.
Can you dig it? I do.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:08 pm

Holy shit! I need to vent and my ultra conservative family is on Facebook. So, I can't express how utterly ****** pissed off I am on Facebook without causing a family controversy. (Plus, I currently hold a good status vs. my siblings).

Some of you are aware that I have a cooperative agreement with the Conservation Department regarding new trail building and maintenance. So, I'm "in the loop" regarding any trail building. At the Saturday group ride, I was informed about someone building a new trail in the conservation area. A description of the people were even given. It actually sounded like one of the neighboring property owners that has made several demands about anyone building a trail near his property!

I went down there to check it out today. It was flagged, blown off, and some of it looked almost ready to ride. I actually thought someone else may have entered an agreement prior to my arrival on site. BUT, one of the restrictions to what I was told I could build there was not having trail visible from the road, to reduce 4 wheeler traffic. In the brief section that I reclaimated with extreme prejudice, there were 5 access points from the road and almost the entire trail was visible. So, I know they don't have approval. For this exact spot, I am even required to have routes pre-approved by the area manager prior to construction. But it gets deeper.

I was given restrictions for this exact area that we could not get within eyesight of a next door neighbor's property line. The trail I am currently building can't go near a waterfall that is shared by said neighbor. Several ideas have been shot down because of their agreement. Large beautiful places for trail are off limits because of him. And the description given to me yesterday sounded just like him! When I was reclaimating today, I parked not too far from his property line and worked my way away from it. When I was done for the day, I drove away from his property and saw his vehicle parked near the working end of the trail! I even went to talk with that ****** when I signed the agreement to assure him that I would honor his wishes with the Area Manager and not build trails near his line.

I was/am so ****** angry. I've rerouted multiple times to respect that mother ******'s wishes and he violates multiple Conservation Department regulations. The perfect spot for the new trailhead, down there, is right by his property. It's even perfect for emergency responders to get access to the gnarliest sections I have planned. I already informed the area manager and both Conservation agents to report it and the info about who is doing it.

If that ass hole is doing this, I think we should be able to visit the waterfall. We should have the easiest access for emergency responders available for all of us. And that mother ****** won't have any more say in what the Conservation Department can do with their own damn public ****** land!
Can you dig it? I do.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:19 pm

Ha! I got ******' censored.
Can you dig it? I do.

Geezer

Postby Geezer » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:40 pm

rec·la·ma·tion
ˌrekləˈmāSH(ə)n/
noun
the process of claiming something back or of reasserting a right.
"the reclamation of our shared history"
the cultivation of waste land or land formerly under water.
"the aggressive reclamation of woodlands for agricultural production"

The above is "reclamation" meaning.

Sorry, I don't quite understand the post.

Best wishes,
TR
Terry - save the trails

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:41 pm

No problem. Short version: illegally built trail, a neighboring landowner is doing it, and he made a stink to the MDC Area Manager regarding where they should/shouldn't have trails. The way I am "reclaiming" the land to it's natural state, or the process of reclaiming it, I read from the IMBA regarding rerouting old fall-line trails. After they open the new routes they would do a relaimation to restore the old trail to a more natural state. Which is what I did to the illegal trail. I returned it to its natural state. I was unaware that the term wasn't commonly used, in that manner, around here.
Can you dig it? I do.

Toxis

Postby Toxis » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:42 pm

I'll go eat some Thai food soon. Give me his address and I'll leave some bags of "decomposed" Thai on his porch, maybe on fire.
UNOFFICIAL SLOWEST RIDER OF '11 & '12.
SLOWEST REGULAR RIDER OF '13, '14, '15 and beyond I'm sure.
Bought a fat bike to hold the record...

Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.

Possum

Postby Possum » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:27 am

Well he probably wanted you far away from his land so that he could build "private" stuff without being seen.

Having people illegally build trail where you're building is frustrating. I've had a kook at Fleming that I've had to deal with.
Bike racing is good. The people you meet, the struggles you overcome, the highs and lows, the downhills, the finish lines. Bikes in general just make us better people. -Cameron Chambers

Return to “Krug Park”