New Maps

Trail Information | Check trail status
Ken Miner

Re: New Maps

Postby Ken Miner » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:50 pm

watts888 wrote:Last time I rode on the west side of the river (Holmes side by the old track bed), all I found was horse poo and some people on horses who were offended that I was there. There's some nice stuff, but I got lost pretty easy among the old trails. It was the first time I rode it, so I'm sure it's great once you're familiar with it, but for a new rider, it's confusing.

That doesn't seem like most of the equestrian riders out at BRP.
I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I usually show up, shirtless on the TV show, "Cops". Stay thirsty my friends.

watts888

Postby watts888 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:06 pm

I guess that was a bit harsh. Some of the riders were fine. Gave me heads up on their route, talked a bit about the trails on that side. The ones that seemed offended were older, and it might have just been an age thing. Crazy kids in their bikes, messing up the soda shops.
"A hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

Jester

Postby Jester » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:07 pm

Maps updated now to show Basement extension connecting to BoHoCa.

Nate King

Postby Nate King » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:38 pm

Awesome - thanks Tom.

Minor edit: change to Blue Ridge Blvd in the Wagon Trail inset. (picky, picky)

smokinbunta

Postby smokinbunta » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:58 pm

I am brand new to this whole MTB thing... I've been going to both Blue river trail on the east AND this Old rail but I can't seem to find the rest of the trail heading south. I just keep running into a dead end and the river it seems... According to Google maps anyways, does the rest of what is shown on Google still exist?

Other wise I am really enjoying the the trails! Haven't made it up much of BoHaCa yet since I am way out of shape. Will try and get out to help out on a work day sometime.

Ken Miner wrote:
tomy wrote:Nice map, indeed. Does exclusion of the old rail bed and stuff west of the river indicate it is no longer part of the trail system at BuRP?

As Jester said, we don't have enough volunteers yet to maintain all the trails. With the closing of the South end of the trails, this section went from a defined loop to an out and back.

On top of that, the BRP crew is working hard to prepare BRP for the connection with the BRP/Swope trail system. Our priority right now is:

1. New trail on the East Side
2. Repairing/rerouting a few sections on existing trail
3. Maps and Kiosks
4. Working on the South end of the Blue/Swope connector

When we have the time and manpower, we'd like to do something with the trail and the railbed on the West side of the Blue River but for now we're focusing on the East side.

Possum

Postby Possum » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:38 pm

Go to a Taco Tuesday ride some time. Max or one of the other regulars will show you around.
Bike racing is good. The people you meet, the struggles you overcome, the highs and lows, the downhills, the finish lines. Bikes in general just make us better people. -Cameron Chambers

smokinbunta

Postby smokinbunta » Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:42 pm

Possum wrote:Go to a Taco Tuesday ride some time. Max or one of the other regulars will show you around.

Wish i could... I run a restaurant.. Mon - Sat/10 - 9 :( I only get Sundays... I have a customer that rides there regularly.. i just haven't seen him in awhile to get in touch.

I got through Blue river yesterday from tennis courts to horse shoe, I'm just confused about Old rail road.

watts888

Postby watts888 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:25 am

I never quite understood why the river trail doesn't extend down to the southern trail. Maybe a future change, maybe because the way the road and river butt up against each other. Either way, you need to leave the river trail long before you get to the end. Right where the river trail seems to go right by the bottom side of a bridge, you have to ride under the bridge to the harder trails. The only way to get to the south side is either through BOHOCA or using the road access from Blue River.

Sasquatch1413

Postby Sasquatch1413 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:39 am

watts888 wrote:because the way the road and river butt up against each other

winner, no space
My what big wheels you have.

smokinbunta

Postby smokinbunta » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:10 pm

This is the section I'm talking about. Not a big deal if i don't ride it, I'm just curious.

Jester

Postby Jester » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:17 pm

Those trails on the west side of the river are abandoned, not maintained and I don't recommend riding them. I'm not sure why they are still on Google maps.
The map you should be looking at is here:
http://www.earnyourdirt.org/images/stor ... ll_map.pdf
or the print friendly map here:
http://www.earnyourdirt.org/images/stor ... ly_map.pdf

Sasquatch1413

Postby Sasquatch1413 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:19 pm

Where your red trail in question starts on the North side, thats about where you have to walk across the creek to get to the other side. On the South end the old rail bed trail dead ends at the existing railway crossing, you can turn right and climb up the cliff that runs parallel to the railway. You'll reach an old concrete bridge that goes over the railway, from there you turn right again riding back North and you come back to the old rail bed.

These trails are not maintained well due to lack of volunteers so its possible they could be very overgrown.
My what big wheels you have.

watts888

Postby watts888 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:28 pm

I was out there a couple years ago, but I came in from the residential neighborhood to the west. FYI, that bridge that crosses the track has a "do not enter" sign and multiple "no parking" signs are around that neighborhood. woops. The southern most section is the old railbed, and should be easy to find from the northern section of the rainbed. The other section of the trail seemed very horse friendly and erroded. Personally, the railbed was OK to ride, but nothing to write home about. The horse trail was a horse trail. Starting out further south across Blue Ridge Blvd. and staying east of the river is a much more enjoyable ride. You can park safely at the baseball field just east of Blue Ridge Blvd and Holmes, or at any of the strip mall places off holmes once it gets dark. I don't know if I'd leave my car unattended too many other places at BURP during the night if no one's around.

smokinbunta

Postby smokinbunta » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:53 pm

Ok thanks guys. That's kinda what I figured.. seen some horse poop and plenty of people walking but no bikes, and i went through that off shoot just sound of the entrance and that was pretty over grown. I know its a bit on the boring side over there but i wanted to make sure i wasn't just missing something..

shoffner

Postby shoffner » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:47 pm

Sasquatch1413 wrote:Where your red trail in question starts on the North side, thats about where you have to walk across the creek to get to the other side. On the South end the old rail bed trail dead ends at the existing railway crossing, you can turn right and climb up the cliff that runs parallel to the railway. You'll reach an old concrete bridge that goes over the railway, from there you turn right again riding back North and you come back to the old rail bed.

These trails are not maintained well due to lack of volunteers so its possible they could be very overgrown.

I miss the old west side stuff. 8)
ROZARKS - Roanoke and Rosedale neighborhoods' nature trails
KESSLER - Cliff Drive/Historic Northeast

URBAN DIRTY RACE SERIES
http://urbandirty.wordpress.com

Team Colavita/Parisi