Krug Park

Check trail status
Smooth&Flowey

Re: Krug Park

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:07 am

ScottL wrote:Thanks for the info, are there any potable water sources near the trailhead btw?

Unfortunately not. If you come up via I-229 to the Saint Joseph Ave exit you'll pass 4 gas stations on the Ave before Krug if you want your water nice and cold.

IF you happen to have a hand purifier that you don't mind carrying in your pack, the waterfall flows even in the driest conditions (about 2.5 miles in) but it's not potable.
Can you dig it? I do.

ScottL
ER Officer

Postby ScottL » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:58 am

Smooth&Flowey wrote:
ScottL wrote:Thanks for the info, are there any potable water sources near the trailhead btw?

Unfortunately not. If you come up via I-229 to the Saint Joseph Ave exit you'll pass 4 gas stations on the Ave before Krug if you want your water nice and cold.

IF you happen to have a hand purifier that you don't mind carrying in your pack, the waterfall flows even in the driest conditions (about 2.5 miles in) but it's not potable.

Cool, thanks for the info. Looks like we won't make it up tomorrow but hope to before long.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:18 am

We got rain. Krug's closed. Did get the tree cut on the downhill after Top of the World. Also armored the mud hole in front of the plank crossing after the damaged bridge and debermed and dug a drain. The damaged bridge is even worse now.
Can you dig it? I do.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:42 am

Monsoon :cry:
Can you dig it? I do.

clydsdal

drinking out of the stream by the waterfall

Postby clydsdal » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:53 am

In Feb of '95 i was riding through Krug and was gonna DIE if I didnt get some water. I stomped a hole in the ice down by the waterfall and saw the crystal clear pure spring water gurgling out. I drank my fill, and then some. Three days later I had a nice four day hospital stay. 105 degree fever. Had no idea who or where I was. Was encouraged NUMEROUS times to take my covered front half/naked rear half back into my room, as they would catch me roaming the halls with my a$$ for all the world to see. Good ole Beaver Fever...not 'Beiber' fever like some non singlespeeders seem to have quite often (not that there is anything wrong with that). RT

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:29 am

clydsdal wrote:In Feb of '95 i was riding through Krug and was gonna DIE if I didnt get some water. I stomped a hole in the ice down by the waterfall and saw the crystal clear pure spring water gurgling out. I drank my fill, and then some. Three days later I had a nice four day hospital stay. 105 degree fever. Had no idea who or where I was. Was encouraged NUMEROUS times to take my covered front half/naked rear half back into my room, as they would catch me roaming the halls with my a$$ for all the world to see. Good ole Beaver Fever...not 'Beiber' fever like some non singlespeeders seem to have quite often (not that there is anything wrong with that). RT

It's that kind of stuff that got me to buy a First Need Deluxe purifier! I've known others from my backpacking days that got nasty bugs like that. Even in Glacier National Park, I wouldn't use a plain filter. You never know what took a dump upstream. That goes double for an urban stream.

Sorry about your misfortune, Randy, but glad you shared. It reminds others the importance of a good purifier.
Can you dig it? I do.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:42 pm

Krug is OPEN.
Can you dig it? I do.

J. Higgins

Postby J. Higgins » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:19 pm

Crap I would have stopped there on my way down from Omaha after some sales calls. Next time I will check the boards. But I too vote for Krug to be added to the Urban Trail updates on twitter so that I can get text notifications. Krug is one of my favorite trails and I'd make the trip if KC trails were closed....which they are ALOT. DAMN RAIN!!!

RiceBurner

Postby RiceBurner » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:57 am

Status? Please/thanks!

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:21 am

Closed. Rained this morning. Had hoped it missed the trails. Just confirmed the mud.
Can you dig it? I do.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:22 pm

I had a chat with someone regarding our trail conditions. His voice rightfully carries more weight on the subject than my own and I value his opinion.

If the status is closed from rain, and you own a fatbike, you are welcome to ride Saint Joseph trails! To remind everyone, this doesn't apply to KC area trails. If Clydsdal says it's OK in Saint JO, then bring on the fatties!
Can you dig it? I do.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:52 pm

Reports are coming in from some trail runners that most of the dozen or so bridges at Krug have been damaged. I would advise even the fatbikes stay away until we get in tomorrow to asses the situation. :cry:
Can you dig it? I do.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:19 pm

The bridges section of Krug is jacked up. At least it wasn't vandals, motorcycles, or ATV's. Mother nature just said F U. Some can just be moved back in place. One is gone. One is split. I only checked this section because I assumed it was the part messed up. You can see motorcycle tracks in the last picture but it was beside where the bridge was and probably prior to the washout. More info to come later.
:cry:
Can you dig it? I do.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:16 am

Saint Jo is CLOSED. Heavy rain.
Can you dig it? I do.

Smooth&Flowey

Postby Smooth&Flowey » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:41 am

Saint Jo is open. Be careful at Krug, bridges still out. You can dismount to get across but it's a flow killer.
Can you dig it? I do.

Return to “Krug Park”